Eric David Peterson
Fred Cobb, M.D. Distinguished Professor of Medicine
Dr Peterson is the Fred Cobb Distinguished Professor of Medicine in the Division of Cardiology, a DukeMed Scholar, and the Past Executive Director of the Duke Clinical Research Institute (DCRI), Durham, NC, USA.
Dr Peterson is the Principal Investigator of the National Institute of Health, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) Spironolactone Initiation Registry Randomized Interventional Trial in Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction (SPIRRIT) Trial He is also the Principal Investigator of the Data Coordinating Centers for the Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS), National Cardiac Surgery Database, the American College of Cardiology National Cardiac Database (ACC-NCDR) and the American Heart Association Get With the Guidelines Database (AHA-GWTG). Dr Peterson also oversees multiple industry sponsored clinical studies.
Additionally, Dr Peterson serves on multiple national committees and guideline and performance measure development groups. Dr Peterson is a member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI), the Association of American Physicians (AAP), and the Association of University Cardiologists (AUC).
Since 2013, Dr Peterson has been voted one of world’s top 400 most influential researchers in biomedicine. as well as named by Thomson Reuters as a ‘Highly Cited Researcher’, ranking him among the top 1% most cited in clinical medicine. He is a Contributing Editor on the Journal of the American Medical Association and is a recognized leader in outcomes and quality research with over 1200 peer-reviewed publications in the field.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Office Location: 200 Morris Street, Durham, NC 27701
- Office Phone: (919) 668-8830
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Duke University, 1995
- Harvard University , 1992
- Children's Hospital, Boston, 1991
- M.D. University of Pittsburgh, 1988
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- 1% most highly cited researchers in clinical medicine. Thomson Reuters . 2014
- world’s top 400 most influential researchers in biomedicine. European Journal of Clinical Investigation. 2014
- Meritorious Achievement Award . American Heart Association . 2013
In the News
- Global List of Highly Cited Puts Duke in Top Ten (Nov 19, 2019)
- Eliminating Cost Barriers Helps Heart Patients Comply with Drug Regimens (Mar 12, 2018 | Duke Health News)
- Eric Peterson named one of nations top cardiologists (Dec 5, 2017 | Duke Clinical Research Institute)
- Duke and SAS open giant database to fight heart disease (May 11, 2016 | WUNC)
- The world’s top universities for attracting industry funding (Mar 8, 2016 | Times Higher Education)
- Text reminders help people lower cholesterol, blood pressure (Sep 23, 2015 | NPR)
- Dr. Eric Peterson comments: A sea change in treating heart attacks (Jun 22, 2015 | The New York Times)
- Diabetes Drug Sitagliptin Shows No Increased Risk Of Heart Events (Jun 10, 2015)
- Widely used diabetes drugs seem safe for the heart, studies say (Jun 9, 2015 | Fox News, AP)
- Duke cardiologist puts CPR expertise to emergency use (Nov 19, 2014 | News & Observer)
- DCRI and Industry Collaboration Promotes Open Data Access (Jun 24, 2014)
- Dr. Eric Peterson comments: Blood pressure guidelines can be loosened, panel says (Dec 19, 2013 | The New York Times)
- 5 Duke Researchers On List of Worlds Top Biomedical Scientists (Nov 11, 2013 | Duke Research Blog)
- Patel, MR; Peterson, ED; Dai, D; Brennan, JM; Redberg, RF; Anderson, HV; Brindis, RG; Douglas, PS, Low diagnostic yield of elective coronary angiography., The New England Journal of Medicine, vol 362 no. 10 (2010), pp. 886-895 [10.1056/NEJMoa0907272] [abs].
- Tsai, TT; Maddox, TM; Roe, MT; Dai, D; Alexander, KP; Ho, PM; Messenger, JC; Nallamothu, BK; Peterson, ED; Rumsfeld, JS; National Cardiovascular Data Registry,, Contraindicated medication use in dialysis patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention., Jama, vol 302 no. 22 (2009), pp. 2458-2464 [10.1001/jama.2009.1800] [abs].
- Peterson, ED, Innovation and comparative-effectiveness research in cardiac surgery., The New England Journal of Medicine, vol 361 no. 19 (2009), pp. 1897-1899 [10.1056/NEJMe0907887] [abs].
- Albert, NM; Yancy, CW; Liang, L; Zhao, X; Hernandez, AF; Peterson, ED; Cannon, CP; Fonarow, GC, Use of aldosterone antagonists in heart failure., Jama, vol 302 no. 15 (2009), pp. 1658-1665 [10.1001/jama.2009.1493] [abs].
- Chan, PS; Nichol, G; Krumholz, HM; Spertus, JA; Jones, PG; Peterson, ED; Rathore, SS; Nallamothu, BK; American Heart Association National Registry of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (NRCPR) Investigators,, Racial differences in survival after in-hospital cardiac arrest., Jama, vol 302 no. 11 (2009), pp. 1195-1201 [10.1001/jama.2009.1340] [abs].
- Fonarow, GC; Peterson, ED, Heart failure performance measures and outcomes: real or illusory gains., Jama, vol 302 no. 7 (2009), pp. 792-794 [10.1001/jama.2009.1180] [abs].
- Lopes, RD; Hafley, GE; Allen, KB; Ferguson, TB; Peterson, ED; Harrington, RA; Mehta, RH; Gibson, CM; Mack, MJ; Kouchoukos, NT; Califf, RM; Alexander, JH, Endoscopic versus open vein-graft harvesting in coronary-artery bypass surgery., The New England Journal of Medicine, vol 361 no. 3 (2009), pp. 235-244 [10.1056/NEJMoa0900708] [abs].
- Antman, EM; Peterson, ED, Tools for guiding clinical practice from the american heart association and the american college of cardiology: what are they and how should clinicians use them?, Circulation, vol 119 no. 9 (2009), pp. 1180-1185 [10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.109.856757] [abs].
- Ho, PM; Maddox, TM; Wang, L; Fihn, SD; Jesse, RL; Peterson, ED; Rumsfeld, JS, Risk of adverse outcomes associated with concomitant use of clopidogrel and proton pump inhibitors following acute coronary syndrome., Jama, vol 301 no. 9 (2009), pp. 937-944 [10.1001/jama.2009.261] [abs].
- Glickman, SW; McHutchison, JG; Peterson, ED; Cairns, CB; Harrington, RA; Califf, RM; Schulman, KA, Ethical and scientific implications of the globalization of clinical research., The New England Journal of Medicine, vol 360 no. 8 (2009), pp. 816-823 [10.1056/NEJMsb0803929] [abs].
- Hernandez, AF; Shea, AM; Milano, CA; Rogers, JG; Hammill, BG; O'Connor, CM; Schulman, KA; Peterson, ED; Curtis, LH, Long-term outcomes and costs of ventricular assist devices among Medicare beneficiaries., Jama, vol 300 no. 20 (2008), pp. 2398-2406 [10.1001/jama.2008.716] [abs].