Professor of the Practice
Jon Fjeld serves as the Director of the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Initiative at Duke University. The I&E initiative is a university-wide effort to stimulate and teach innovation and entrepreneurship to students, faculty and staff across the university.
He has been teaching entrepreneurship and strategy, and leading the entrepreneurship efforts at Fuqua since 2005.
Before returning to academia, he spent over twenty years in marketing, engineering and general management in start-ups and public companies.
From December, 2000, until July, 2004, he served as vice president of engineering for Align Technology in Santa Clara, CA. Between 1995 and 2000, he served as CEO of two RTP venture backed firms: Geomagic, a 3D software company and NetEdge Systems, a data networking equipment company. Prior to that, Fjeld spent 13 years at IBM, where he served in a number of management and executive positions within the networking and software business units. He began his professional career as an assistant professor in the philosophy department at Duke University.
Fjeld holds a Ph.D. and MA in philosophy from the University of Toronto, an MBA from Duke University, an MS in computer science from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and a BA in mathematics and philosophy from Bishop's University.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of the Practice
- Director of the Duke Innovation & Entrepreneurship Initiative
- Professor of the Practice in the Department of Philosophy
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Core Faculty in Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- Office Location: A105f Fuqua School, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-8052
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- M.B.A. Duke University, 1990
- M.S. University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, 1983
- Ph.D. University of Toronto (Canada), 1977
- M.A. University of Toronto (Canada), 1974
- B.A. Bishop's University (Canada), 1973
- ENTREPRN 897E: Concentration Project
- I&E 391: Independent Study in Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- I&E 395: New Ventures 2: Strategy Development
- I&E 396: New Ventures Delivery
- I&E 499: Innovation and Entrepreneurship Capstone: Ideas into Action
- I&E 750: New Ventures 2: Strategy Development
- I&E 752: New Ventures Delivery
- MMS 395: New Ventures 2: Strategy Development
- MMS 396: New Ventures Delivery
- STRATEGY 845: Entrepreneurial Execution and Planning
- STRATEGY 849: New Ventures 2: Strategy Development I
- STRATEGY 850: New Ventures 2: Strategy Development 2
- STRATEGY 851: New Ventures Delivery 1
In the News
- Jon Fjeld Named Interim Director of Innovation & Entrepreneurship (Apr 11, 2018)
- B-schools target women (Sep 30, 2015 | The Wall Street Journal)
- Mixing the Arts with Entrepreneurship (Mar 13, 2014)
- Fjeld, J; Jensen, K; Byers, T; Dunham, L, Entrepreneurs and the Truth, Harvard Business Review (2021) [abs].
- Cummings, JN; Cohen, W; Fjeld, J; Mealey, C, Coherence between Firm Innovation Strategy and Structuring Innovation Projects: A Framework, Academy of Management Proceedings, vol 2019 no. 1 (2019), pp. 17817-17817 [10.5465/ambpp.2019.17817abstract] [abs].
- Fjeld, J, How to Test Your Assumptions, Mit Sloan Management Review, vol 59 no. 2 (2018), pp. 89-90 [abs].
- Cohen, WM; Fjeld, J, The three legs of a stool: Comment on Richard Nelson, “The sciences are different and the differences matter”, Research Policy, vol 45 no. 9 (2016), pp. 1708-1712 [10.1016/j.respol.2016.06.002] [abs].
- Fjeld, J, Experiential entrepreneurship programs at universities: Are they all the same? [abs].